How to Redeem Damaged Banknotes
The banknote, the medium of exchange, is repeatedly circulated from one to another. Being continuously used, they finally become damaged such as mutilated, some parts missing, strained, or faded away, and therefore, they are not suitable for common use. According to the Currency Act 1958 Article 18, it states that damaged banknotes are no longer considered "the legal tender note for all debts, public and private" and these banknotes will be excluded and regulations of monetary exchange are enforced as follows:
1) A half banknote means the sheet is vertically divided in the middle of the note into two. This can be redeemed at its half value.
2) A mismatched banknote means a note attached with pieces of another banknote. If not more than 2 pieces mismatched and the same domination, the note can be redeemed at its normal value.
3) A mutilated banknote means a note of which some part is torn-off. If the banknote paper is left more than half, it can be redeemed at its normal value.
Damaged Banknote Exchange Service:
Government Savings Bank branches across the country
Commercial banks across the country
(excluding the branches located in the department stores/shopping complexes)
Service Date : Wednesdays only
Guidelines for Exchange of Damaged Banknotes
Damaged notes can be redeemed for new ones according to the following criteria.
1. Half note, mismatched note, mutilated note, or defaced note (with less than three-fifths of the original banknote remaining)
- Fill out a completed claim form available at a commercial bank and submit it together with a damaged note to the commercial bank's officer.
- The Bank of Thailand determines the value of the damaged note. The reimbursement is made by bank transfer or by post as specified in the claim form
- Fire-damaged, water-damaged, insect-damaged, or decayed banknote should be handled with care and presented to the commercial bank's officer for the issue of tag to be used in the exchange service processed by the Bank of Thailand
2. A banknote with three-fifths or more of the original banknote remaining
- Immediate exchange can be made at the full face value
-- Redeeming damaged banknotes is free of charge in any case. --
For additional information, please contact:
Banknote Verification Section
Rayong Banknote Operation Center
Tel. 0-3861-9157 # 8810
Chiang Mai Banknote Operation Center
Phitsanulok Banknote Operation Center
Tel. 0-5526-2406-8 # 8840
Khon Kaen Banknote Operation Center
Tel. 0-4333-3000 # 3324
Nakhon Ratchasima Banknote Operation Center
Tel. 0-4425-9642 # 8869, 8870
Ubon Ratchathani Banknote Operation Center
Tel. 0-4531-7882-3 # 8900
Hat Yai Banknote Operation Center
Tel. 0-7423-6200 # 4383
Surat Thani Banknote Operation Center
Tel. 0-7720-1307-8 # 8929, 8930
Phang-nga Banknote Operation Center
Tel. 0-7646-0746 # 8963