The Bank of Thailand's responsibilities concerning government debt securities
The Bank of Thailand's
responsibilities concerning government debt securities are as follows:
1. Participating with the issuer in planning for new issuance of securities. Besides, the Bank of Thailand is the issuer of the Bank of Thailand bonds which are used as monetary tools to stabilize interest rate and liquidity in financial market and to enlarge investor base in order to enhance the development of financial and debt securities markets.
2. Serving as a regulator of primary issuance of government debt securities.
2.1 regulating and coordinating with selling agents assigned by issuer in selling new savings bonds as well as issuing securities certificates to bondholders.
2.2 managing government debt securities auction for institutional investors
3. Serving as a registrar and paying agent
3.1 acting as a registrar, recording registration of bondholders, for example, ownership transfer, pledging and attachment.
3.2 making interest payment and principal redemption.
4. Designating authorized primary dealers acting as trading counterparties with the Bank of Thailand in undertaking monetary policy.
5. Participating with the Ministry of Finance or other related government agencies in developing debt securities market such as developing issuance of new government debt securities in primary market, improving liquidity and efficiency of secondary market, and enhancing clearing and settlement infrastructure.