The History of the Note Printing Works
The Bank of Thailand was authorized by the Cabinet on September 5, 1961 to establish the Note Printing Works funded by the earnings accrued from the Currency Reserves of Thailand Fund according to section 33 of the Currency Act B.E. 2501 in order to promote the stability and security of the economy. Since Thailand could not easily import banknotes from abroad when banknote were first used in 1902 and could not order banknotes during the late part of World War II (1941-1945), the scarcity of banknotes had affected all economic sectors of the country. Consequently, the Note Printing Works has been established in order to promote the stabilities and security of the economy and also provide a long term benefit in controlling of quantity and quality of banknotes and eliminating the use of foreign currency for importing banknotes from abroad. Lastly, the key roles of the Note Printing Works help strengthen the reputation of Thailand.
The first Note Printing Works was located across from the Head Office of the Bank of Thailand at Tha Kasem Road, Bangkok on a 17,740 square meter tract of land and the construction was started on August 8, 1963. The Note Printing Works offically commenced operation when H.M. the King graciously presided over the inauguration ceremony on June 24, 1969.
The projected production volume each year increased steadily in response to the continuing demand for banknotes. Additionally, the extra space was essentially required for the storage of bulky materials, the installation of new security control equipment, and the installation of waste handling system. For the reason, the Bank of Thailand eventually approved purchase of the 60.2 acres land at kilometer 30 on Boromarajajonani Road, Khun Kaeo Sub-District, Nakhon Chai Si District, Nakhon Pathom Province. Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn qraciously presided over the foundation stone laying ceremony at the new Note Printing Works on May 24, 2004, an auspicious gestrue for Thai banknote production.
Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn delivered the Royal Address at the Inauguration of the Note Printing Works, Nakhon Chai Si District on October 15, 2007. The presence of the Princess marked another manifestation of royal patronage that the Bank of Thailand has been fortunate to receive over the years.